Our firm was contracted to complete a study and implement the design of additions and renovations to the existing, two-story mansion turned art museum. Working with RKK&G Museum and Cultural Facilities Consultants, Inc. of New York City, a comprehensive layout was developed. In association with Platt Byard & Dovell of New York City, a 6,580 square foot Education Wing and a 12,164 square foot Exhibition Wing were designed. The design made a bold statement of image while being sensitive to the original 1904 Georgian Revival designed by Charles Adam Platt. The project included the design of sensitive mechanical and electrical systems including museum storage.
The preservation of the original 5,000 square foot building was a key element to the project. Team members were responsible for its renovation, being sensitive to its historic character while integrating and upgrading systems. The museum now has a new look while keeping its old and will be able to function for years to come.
Awards included the 2004 American Architecture Award from The Chicago Athenaeum; a 2005 AIA Michigan Honor Award; a 2005 New York Chapter AIA Merit Award; and a 2005 Saginaw Valley Chapter AIA Honor Award.