Client | Onaway County, Michigan
The Onaway Courthouse, also known as the Presque Isle County Courthouse, was built in 1903. It was designed to serve as a courthouse in the hopes of changing the county seat to Onaway, but was never used as such.
The three-level structure was constructed
of masonry block and fieldstone. It was designated as a Michigan State Historic Site
in 1978 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Rehabilitation of the Courthouse began in the late 1990s with exterior and interior work being completed. New heating and electrical systems were installed, the roof and windows were replaced, and an addition was completed to provide accessibility to the second floor. Interior finishes were also updated.
The courthouse houses the Onaway Branch of the Presque Isle District Library, city offices, the Onaway Historical Museum, and the Chamber of Commerce.
Renovation projects were funded in part by Federal grants through Rural Development.